Cherry Tomato Toast is a simple, bite sized appetizer. Whipped ricotta cheese and herby tomatoes come together for a delicious treat!
When I started this blog and photographing food, I had a very hard time determining ‘my niche.’ I do not eat gluten free, vegan or low fodmap. I don’t just bake desserts or cook fancy dinners.
After putting a lot of thought into it and analyzing which recipes were my best recipes, I realized ‘simple, adaptable dishes with a healthy twist’ is what I enjoy cooking. I like to sneak vegetables into dishes any time I can and I enjoy ‘lightening’ a recipe up when it doesn’t compromise the taste.
I said that to say this, this Cherry Tomato Toast covers the simple, adaptable, and healthy marks. This will be your go to appetizer for winter and summer months!
If you are looking for an appetizer that looks fancy but is actually quite simple, try these Melon Caprese Skewers with Crispy Prosciutto!
Cherry Tomato Toast Details!
Level of difficulty: Easy! Bake, blend and toast.
Flavor: In my opinion, this toast SCREAMS summer! The cherry tomatoes are tossed with dried basil which brings my mind to a caprese salad. The whipped ricotta has a slightly sweet flavor. When all the flavors come together, I guarantee you will not be able to stop at just one bite.
Time to make: The Cherry Tomato Toast will take you around 30 minutes to make. The tomatoes are baked for about 20-25 minutes to allow them to soften and ‘burst’ with flavor. After that you just have to whip the ricotta cheese and toast the bread.
Cherry Tomato Toast Ingredients
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- Dried Basil
- Garlic cloves
- Ricotta Cheese
- French Bread Loaf
Let’s Get to Cookin’!
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium baking dish, toss cherry tomatoes with extra virgin olive oil, dried basil, salt, pepper and minced garlic. Bake for 20-25 minutes. The tomatoes are done when they look soft and begin to burst.
While the tomatoes are cooking, make the honey whipped ricotta. To a food processor, add the ricotta cheese, honey and pepper. Pulse to blend for about 2 minutes scraping the sides intermittently. The ricotta is finished when it is smooth and creamy.
Slice the french bread and lightly toast in the oven or toaster oven.
Spread the whipped ricotta onto toast. Top with cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
Please note, these alternative ingredients have not been tested. These are suggestions!
- Ricotta Cheese- you could whip feta in place. I think this would give the toast a flavor similar to this viral tik tok recipe.
- French Bread- you could substitute your favorite thick bread. Use a regular slice of thick bread (or two slices) to make this into a light meal.
- Honey- agave nectar is a good alternative. If you do not like sweet, omit the honey.
- Cherry Tomatoes- use fresh sliced tomatoes. If using sliced tomatoes, do not bake.
- Dried Basil- if fresh basil is in season, top with slivered basil after baking tomatoes.
- Garlic- if you do not have fresh garlic, use 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy:
Pair your appetizer with this Simple Peach Sangria with Rosé Wine!
As always, if you make this Cherry Tomato Toast, please leave a comment and tag @delmarvaliciousdishes!
Cherry Tomato Toast
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp Black Pepper (Divided)
- 2 Garlic Cloves - Minced
- 1 cup Ricotta
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 French Bread - Loaf
- Balsamic Glaze (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss cherry tomatoes, dried basil, salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, minced garlic and extra virgin olive oil in an oven safe baking dish. Bake 20-25 minutes until tomatoes are soft and beginning to burst.
- While tomatoes are baking, make whipped ricotta. Add ricotta, honey and 1/4 tsp black pepper to a food processor. Blend for 2 minutes until ricotta is smooth.
- Slice french bread and lightly toast.
- Top toast with ricotta cheese and cherry tomatoes.
- If desired, add balsamic glaze on top.