Easy Spiced Mexican Popcorn (using Taco Seasoning) is the best taco popcorn recipe for your next movie night or Cinco de Mayo party! This recipe makes a big batch of popcorn for a perfect low calorie snack.
Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks and learning how simple popcorn is to make at home has been a game changer!
This Mexican Popcorn Recipe was inspired by my other popcorn recipes. If you are looking for a unique popcorn try this Easy Dill Pickle Popcorn with Homemade Seasoning. For a kick of heat, try this Jalapeno Popcorn with Parmesan Cheese!
Mexican Popcorn Details
Flavor: Think about eating a taco in popcorn form! This popcorn has traditional taco flavoring such as paprika, chili powder and garlic along with salty cotija cheese and zesty lime.
Level of Difficulty: Simple! Once you learn how to make popcorn at home, you won't stop!
Time: This popcorn comes together in less than 10 minutes.
- Popcorn Kernels
- Vegetable Oil: Could also use coconut oil or peanut oil.
- Taco Seasoning: I like to use low sodium.
- Lime Zest: Don't skip this!
- Cotija Cheese: Could substitute another salty cheese such as Pecorino or Romano Cheese.
- Unsalted Butter
- Nutritional Yeast: This is a dairy-free vegan seasoning. It gives popcorn a nutty and cheesy flavor. You can omit the nutritional yeast but I recommend using it. It is a game changer!
How to Make Mexican Popcorn
- Start by mixing together the lime zest and cotija cheese in a small bowl.
- Add oil of choice to a medium pot with popcorn kernels over medium heat. Place a lid on the pot.
- Wait until you hear the kernels pop. Stay close by as the popcorn begins to pop. Once there are more than two seconds between the remaining kernels, the popcorn is cooked. Remove from heat.
- Pour melted butter over popcorn. Stir in lime zest, cotija cheese, taco seasoning and nutritional yeast.
- Enjoy popcorn!
Add oil and popcorn kernels to a medium pot over medium hot.
Pop popcorn until there is 2 seconds between pops. Remove from stove.
Pour melted butter, lime zest, taco seasoning, cotija cheese and nutritional yeast over top of popped popcorn.
Stir ingredients together to coat kernels and enjoy!
Popcorn is such a simple food to make to your taste. Try one of these fun variations or make your own!
- Make it spicy by adding a pinch of cayenne pepper or adding jalapenos! Use this recipe to learn how to cook jalapenos for popcorn!
- Control the sodium! Make your own taco seasoning so that you can control the salt level as well as the flavor! Here is a great recipe for homemade taco seasoning!
- Make it sweet! Sweet and salty pair perfectly together. Add a teaspoon of sugar to the popcorn for a sweet and salty Mexican popcorn!
No fancy popcorn maker is required to make this popcorn!
- Medium to Large Pot: I like to use a medium pot with high sides.
- Small Bowls: To mix the cheese and lime zest and to melt the butter.
- Spoon to stir popcorn with spice mixture.
Popcorn is best enjoyed right after popping. The humidity can cause popcorn to quickly become stale. I recommend storing popcorn in a cool place in a sealed bag.
Don't skip the nutritional yeast! I have made this popcorn with the yeast and without the yeast! Even a little bit of the yeast makes the biggest difference!
Mexican Street Corn Popcorn is popcorn that is reminiscent of traditional Mexican Street Corn. This popcorn recipe has a similar taste to street corn with flavors from the cotija cheese, fresh lime zest and taco seasoning.
To add more flavor to popcorn, I recommend adding a little of your favorite seasoning. A little seasoning goes a long way on popcorn. For this Mexican Popcorn, I recommend adding the nutritional yeast for more flavor. The nutritional yeast gives the popcorn a cheesy and nutty flavor that makes it irresistible!
Yes, you can use bagged popcorn or microwave popcorn to make this Mexican Popcorn recipe! Simply, add the popcorn to a large bowl and mix together the remaining ingredients. Keep in mind, pre-made popcorn or microwave popcorn can have added salt and the taste may slightly differ.
Looking for other fun snack recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with popcorn:
Easy Spiced Mexican Popcorn (using Taco Seasoning)
- Medium to Large Pot with lid
- Small Bowls
- 2 tablespoon Oil of Choice Vegetable, Coconut or Peanut Oil
- ½ cup Popcorn Kernels
- ¼ cup Cotija Cheese Grated
- Zest of a Lime
- 2 teaspoon Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter Melted
- 2 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- Mix together cotija cheese and lime zest in a small bowl.
- Add oil to a medium sized pot. Add popcorn kernels and place lid on pot. Allow kernels to pop, occasionally shaking the pot. Once kernels stop popping for 2 seconds in between pops, remove popcorn from heat.
- Pour melted butter on top of popcorn. Stir to coat.
- Stir in cotija cheese and lime zest, nutritional yeast and taco seasoning.