Frito Chickpeas with Chorizo is a simple and delicious one pot meal! This Cuban inspired dish is full of vegetables, healthy garbanzo beans and spicy chorizo to make a tasty side dish or main course!
Dinners that come together quickly and are cooked in one pot are the kind of dinners I am looking for. It is even better if the meal tastes better the following day! If you are looking for a simple, crowd please dinner this Frito Chickpeas with Chorizo is your meal.
Looking for another one pan meal? Try this One Pan Roasted Fish with Garlic Cherry Tomatoes. This is an elegant yet simple dinner that will teach even the most basic cook how to make delicious fish! Or, try these Crockpot Chicken and Vegetable Enchiladas. These enchiladas could not be easier to make! I like to make a double batch to share a tray!
Frito Chickpeas with Chorizo Details
Flavor: The chorizo provides a slightly spicy flavor that perfectly pairs with the mild garbanzo beans. The tomato base rounds out the spice with a slightly sweet taste.
Level of Difficulty: Simple! This dinner could not be any easier to make. All that it takes is one large skillet and some time chopping vegetables.
Time: This complete meal comes together in 30 minutes. This includes prep time.
- Bell Pepper: You can use any color that you like. I prefer the taste of red peppers but a yellow, orange or green pepper can be used.
- Red Onion: Substitute a white onion if you don't have red.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Garlic Cloves
- Ground Chorizo Sausage: Use Spanish Chorizo if possible for more flavor.
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes: Substitute fresh tomatoes if you have them.
- Garbanzo Beans: Also called chickpeas.
- Tomato Sauce
- Oregano: Use freshly chopped oregano if available.
- White Rice: Could use brown rice, quinoa or French bread.
- Fresh Parsley: For serving. Substitute cilantro.
Let's Get Cookin'!
- Start by chopping your bell pepper and onion. The vegetables should be diced into small pieces. Mince garlic cloves.
- Add EVOO to a large bottomed skillet. Heat EVOO at medium-high heat.
- Once EVOO is hot, add bell pepper and onion. Sauté vegetables for 5-6 minutes stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft.
- Add minced garlic cloves and stir for 45 seconds until fragrant.
- Add chorizo sausage. Break chorizo apart as you brown the meat.
- Once cooked, turn stove down to medium heat. Add garbanzo beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, oregano, paprika and cumin. Stir to combine.
- Once combined, turn heat down to medium low heat. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes until there is a thick sauce.
- Top with fresh parsley or cilantro. Serve with white rice or crusty bread.
- To make this dish vegetarian, omit the chorizo and use more garbanzo beans and vegetables.
- Avoid soggy chickpeas by cooking this dish uncovered.
- Prepare all ingredients ahead of time! This dish comes together very quickly. Prep the vegetables and drain and rinse the garbanzo beans ahead of cooking.
- To add more spice to this dish, add some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
What to Serve Frito Chickpeas with
This dish is often served as a side dish. In the case of a side dish, I would serve the Fritos Chickpeas with Chorizo as prepared above without the rice. To make this dish into a meal, serve it over:
- White Rice
- With crispy bread
- With Pita bread
- As a taco with cheese (not traditional but delicious and toddler approved!)
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Garlic Mincer (optional)
- Large Skillet
Store leftovers refrigerated in an airtight container. Oftentimes, this main dish is more flavorful the next day after the flavors meld together.
Yes, chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing.
You can cook chickpeas by simmering them on the stove until soft. However, this recipe uses canned chickpeas which are precooked. You can essentially eat the chickpeas out of the can. Just be sure to rinse them off first to remove excess sodium used to preserve them.
Yes, you can freeze canned chickpeas. For this recipe, make sure that the dish is completely cool and at room temperature. Seal the Fritos Chickpeas in an airtight bag or container making sure to remove all air. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Easy Frito Chickpeas with Chorizo Recipe (One Pot Meal)
- 1 Large Heavy Bottom Skillet
- 1 Sharp Knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 Bell Pepper Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves Chopped
- 1 Red Onion Chopped
- 8 oz Ground Chorizo
- 14.5 oz Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce
- 14.5 oz Garbanzo Beans Drained and Rinsed
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- White Rice for serving
- Heat EVOO over medium high heat.
- Once EVOO is hot, sauté bell pepper and onion for 5-6 minutes until soft.
- Add in garlic and stir for 30 seconds to 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add chorizo. Break up chorizo while browning.
- Once chorizo is brown, add garbanzo beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, oregano, paprika and cumin. Stir to combine.
- Turn heat down to medium low. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice or crispy bread.