Herby Lemon Orzo Salad with Roasted Vegetables is an easy summer dish that can feed a crowd! Packed with roasted vegetables, fresh herbs and a light dressing, this salad is perfect for all summer entertaining!
Looking for another summer side dish? Try this Easy Watermelon Salsa with Kiwi and Mint! It is the perfect addition to your next BBQ and you can serve it right in the watermelon!
Lemon Orzo Salad Details
Level of Difficulty: I am giving this recipe a 'Medium' difficulty rating because it is time consuming. If you are comfortable with chopping and roasting vegetables and are patient, this recipe will be easy for you!
Time: This recipe takes about an hour from start to finish. This includes chopping time and roasting time. I recommend that you make the orzo and the dressing while the vegetables are roasting.
Flavor: Herby Lemon Orzo Salad with Roasted Vegetables says it all! This recipe has a light lemon flavor thanks to the dressing. It is packed with plenty of basil, oregano and dill. The roasted vegetables provide a sweet flavor.
While this ingredient list may seem extensive, most ingredients are pantry staples.
- Feta Cheese
- Red Pepper
- Yellow Pepper
- Red Onion
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
How to Make Lemon Orzo Salad
There are a few steps to make this Herby Lemon Orzo Salad with Roasted Vegetables.
- Chop Vegetables: Chop your vegetables into bite size, even pieces. The vegetables should be chopped similar in size in order to allow for the cook time to remain similar. Remember that vegetables will shrink while roasting.
- Roast Vegetables: Spray a large rimmed baking sheet covered in tin foil with cooking spray. Place chopped vegetables on baking sheet. If you do not have a large baking sheet, use two pans and roast the vegetables separately. If you overcrowd the pan, the vegetables will steam and not roast. Steamed vegetables are mushier in texture and do not hold up as well in this Lemon Orzo Salad. When making this with regular size pans, I roast the eggplant first and then roast another pan with the peppers, onion and asparagus. Toss vegetables with ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast vegetables for 25 minutes flipping vegetables halfway through.
- Cook the Orzo: Cook orzo to al dente according to package directions. Drain orzo and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together Extra Virgin Olive Oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Toss all ingredients together: While the orzo is still hot, combine the roasted vegetables, feta cheese, herbs (basil, oregano, dill) and dressing in a large mixing bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Prior to serving, taste test the orzo. Add additional extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice if needed.
Lemon Orzo Salad Dressing
The dressing for this orzo salad is so simple to make! Simply, whisk together Extra Virgin Olive Oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper. It is a light dressing with a slight tang. If you want to skip making the dressing, try this Lively Lemon Tarragon Dressing or Avocado Oil Herb Vinaigrette. Both of these dressings are made by Briannas and are my favorite way to 'cheat' when cooking!
- Do not overcrowd your pan! If the vegetables are too close, they will steam instead of roast. If you do not have a very large pan, roast vegetables in two batches.
- Mix together all ingredients while the orzo is still warm. This will help to soften the feta and the dressing will easily blend with the vegetables and pasta.
- Refrigerate the orzo salad overnight before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together. Remember to stir before serving. If pasta appears dry, add additional EVOO and/or lemon juice.
How long does Lemon Orzo Salad last in the refrigerator? Lemon Orzo Salad lasts up to 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Prior to serving the salad after refrigeration, stir the salad through. If the salad seems dry, add additional Extra Virgin Olive Oil and/or lemon juice.
Is Orzo gluten free? Orzo is not gluten free. You can purchase gluten free orzo, however, traditional orzo is not gluten free. If looking for a gluten free alternative for this recipe, replace the orzo with quinoa or brown rice (these options have not been tested).
Is Orzo Salad healthy? This Lemon Orzo Salad is healthy! It is full of healthy vegetables containing high levels of nutrients, antioxidants including vitamin C and vitamin A.
What should I serve with Lemon Orzo Salad? This Lemon Orzo Salad is delicious with grilled salmon or blackened chicken on top. Additionally, it is a great side dish for a barbeque or potluck as it can be served at room temperature and is easy to transport.
If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and tag @delmarvaliciousdishes!
Herby Lemon Orzo Salad with Roasted Vegetables
- 1 Large Rimmed Baking Sheet
- 1 Sharp Knife
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Juicer
- 1 Orzo Cooked
- 1 Eggplant Chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 Red Onion Sliced
- 1 Red Pepper Sliced
- 1 Yellow Pepper Sliced
- ½ lb Asparagus Chopped into Bite Sized Pieces
- ½ cup Basil
- 2 Lemons Juiced
- ½ cup Olive Oil Divided
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 8 oz Feta Cheese Chopped
- 2 tablespoon Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Dill
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with tin foil. Spray with baking spray.
- Add vegetables to baking sheet and toss with ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil . Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes tossing half way through.
- While vegetables are roasting, cook orzo. Cook according to package instructions to al dente. Drain pasta and put in a large mixing bowl.
- To make the lemon dressing, whisk together lemon juice, ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Add roasted vegetables, feta cheese, basil, oregano, dill and dressing to a large bowl. Stir together.
- Refrigerate for an hour or overnight (recommended). Serve at room temperature.