Kentucky Coffee with Maple Simple Syrup is an iced alcoholic drink with a caffeinated kick! This coffee and bourbon cocktail is sweetened with a homemade Maple Simple Syrup and is easy to make at home!
Coffee drinks never get old! Looking for a new, twist on coffee? Try this Maple Pecan Coffee with Cold Brew or this Butter Pecan Coffee Milkshake!
Do you ever get bored of grabbing a beer from the refrigerator or pouring yourself a glass of wine? Sometimes, it feels like making a cocktail is too much work after a long day. I totally get that! When you are tired and need a little pick me up, try this Kentucky Coffee with Maple Simple Syrup! Make the simple syrup ahead of time (don’t worry, you can use it in other recipes!) and all you have to do is pour, shake and drink!
Coffee Drink Details
Level of Difficulty: Simple! For this recipe, you only have to make the Maple Simple Syrup. All this entails is mixing the ingredients on the stove. Brew coffee. Then, mix the ingredients together, shake, pour and enjoy!
Flavor: This Kentucky Coffee has a lightly sweet flavor combined with floral notes from the bourbon. The coffee gives the cocktail a nutty flavor. You do not taste strong alcohol in this drink.
Time: If all of the ingredients are prepared (coffee brewed and cooled and Maple Simple Syrup made), this recipe takes about 5 minutes to mix up. The Maple Simple Syrup takes about 10 minutes to make. I recommend brewing the coffee ahead of time so that it has time to cool.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Coffee: Use a coffee that you enjoy drinking! I recommend using Coffee Rendezbrew’s Dewey Beach Roast. This roast has bourbon and pecan flavor notes and pairs perfectly with the bourbon and Maple Simple Syrup!
- Bourbon: Just like with the coffee, use a bourbon that you enjoy drinking! I used Bib & Tucker Small Batch Bourbon because I enjoy the nutty hints. I don’t recommend using a flavored bourbon as the flavor may compete with the Maple Simple Syrup.
- Maple Syrup: Use authentic maple syrup, not pancake syrup.
- Brown Sugar
- Maple Nut Sugar: I chose to use this Maple Nut Sugar from Coffee Rendezbrew in the Maple Simple Syrup and to rim my whiskey glass. I like how the sweet nuttiness compliments the coffee cocktail. If you cannot find this sugar, replace with brown sugar.
How To Make
- Brew Coffee. This Kentucky Coffee is served chilled. I recommend brewing your coffee ahead of time and allowing to cool to room temperature or refrigerating before you make the cocktail.
- Make Maple Simple Syrup. This step can be done ahead of time. Add water, maple syrup, brown sugar and Maple Nut Sugar to a small pot and turn heat to medium. Allow water to warm and stir to combine the water with the maple syrup and the sugars. Once bubbles begin to form, remove pot from the heat and let cool. While the syrup cools, it will thicken. Store refrigerated in an airtight container.
- Combine Cocktail. Add ice to a cocktail shaker. Add coffee, bourbon and Maple Simple Syrup. Shake cocktail shaker for about 15 seconds until the exterior of the shaker becomes cold. Pour coffee cocktail over ice in a whiskey glass.
- Enjoy your Bourbon Coffee Cocktail!
What kind of coffee should I use in a coffee cocktail?
Use a coffee that you enjoy and that pairs with the alcohol in the coffee! In this Kentucky Coffee, I chose a coffee that has bourbon and pecan notes. This perfectly paired with the nutty Maple Simple Syrup. Try the coffee here!
What else can I do with Maple Simple Syrup?
Use Maple Simple Syrup to replace the sugar in your coffee or tea, on top of ice cream, pancakes or waffles. Another option is to mix the Maple Simple Syrup with butter when sautéing vegetables. The Maple Simple Syrup can be kept in refrigerated for up to 3 weeks (if it last’s that long).
What is a Kentucky Coffee?
A Kentucky Coffee is a coffee cocktail that mixes bourbon and coffee. This cocktail is similar to an Irish Coffee that mixes whiskey and coffee.
- If you are looking for more caffeine, use cold brew coffee instead of cooled drip coffee!
- Prepare the Maple Simple Syrup ahead of time so that you can quickly whip up this Kentucky Coffee!
Looking for another cocktail recipe? Try one of these!
Spiked Cranberry Lemonade (Fisher’s Island Copycat Recipe)
Party Cosmopolitans (Large Batch Recipe)
If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and tag @delmarvaliciousdishes on Instagram. Cheers!
Kentucky Coffee with Maple Simple Syrup
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- 4 oz Coffee Cold or Room Temperature
- 1-2 oz Bourbon
- 1/2 - 1 oz Maple Simple Syrup
- Maple Nut Sugar to rim on glass Optional
Maple Nut Simple Syrup Recipe
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Maple Nut Sugar
Maple Bourbon Coffee Cocktail
- Combine coffee, bourbon and Maple Simple Syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake to blend until the outside of the cocktail shaker is cold (about 15 seconds).
- Rim a whiskey glass with maple nut sugar.
- Serve cocktail over ice.
Maple Nut Simple Syrup
- Add water, maple syrup, brown sugar and maple nut sugar to a pot over medium heat.
- Allow water to warm. Stir to combine brown sugar, maple nut sugar and maple syrup.
- Once bubbles begin to form on the edge of the pot, remove from heat.
- Let syrup cool. Store in an airtight container.
My husband loves bourbon with his coffee, and I made this for him. He loved it and I love it too so much. Smooth and so yummy!
I was looking for a new cocktail and was lucky to see your recipe. It was super delicious, and I loved its coffee flavor.
Delicious and easy to make. A hit with my dinner club👍👍
I made the mocktail version of this- so good!
Cheers to that!