This Iced Strawberry Mocha Macchiato is a coffee lovers dream! This delicious coffee drink is the perfect choice for a Valentine's Day coffee or any time you want a fancy espresso-based drink at home!
I was inspired to make this recipe because I wanted to make a red latte for Valentine's Day. Plus, I am always looking for new ways to enjoy coffee at home. Somehow, it just makes my mornings feel more special.
For more seasonal lattes, try this Warm Apple Pie Latte for the fall or this Peppermint Mocha Latte with Peppermint Simple Syrup for a flavorful Christmas coffee. Coffee always pairs well muffins! Try these simple 3 Ingredient Cinnamon Sugar Apple Spice Muffins to pair with your coffee.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It is pretty! The layered look of this latte makes it a very impressive drink to make at home.
- There are many options! You can make this latte sweeter by adding more strawberry simple syrup or less sweet by adding less. You can choose the milk you use in the latte and you control how strong the espresso or coffee is brewed. This macchiato latte is customizable to you! You also can only use one shot of espresso to make this drink less caffeinated.
- It will save you money! Have you ever ordered an $8 coffee at a coffee shop? I have and it enrages me. Make this latte at home for a fraction of the cost!
Just a few simple ingredients are needed to make this new drink at home!
- Espresso is used as the base of this coffee drink. I use this Darker the Berry roast from Coffee Rendezbrew. This dark roast has fruity hints that perfectly pair with the strawberry syrup.
- Milk makes the latte creamy.
- Strawberry Simple Syrup creates the bright red layer and adds sweetness to the latte.
- Cocoa Powder creates a richness in the espresso.
- If you do not have an espresso maker, use strongly brewed coffee. Most traditional coffee makers have a strong setting. I recommend using a dark roast coffee to make this macchiato. Use a little extra coffee grounds than normal and brew on the strong setting.
- Substitute cocoa powder with chocolate syrup!
- Use your milk of choice in this recipe. I like to use creamy coconut milk for the bright white color and the contrast the milk provides to create a layered look. Almond milk, oat milk and soy milk are great milk alternatives to traditional dairy milk.
- The Strawberry Simple Syrup can be substituted for another syrup. You can purchase coffee syrups at the grocery store or make your own.
- Add a mocha drizzle by pouring chocolate syrup inside the glass before adding the Strawberry Simple Syrup and ice to the glass.
Starbucks has made many macchiato recipe variations. Here are some to try:
- Starbucks Coconut Milk Mocha Macchiato- Use coconut milk as your milk base along with White Chocolate Mocha Sauce. You can make your own or buy it here! Add a caramel and mocha drizzle on top.
- Caramel Mocha Latte: Combine your latte with chocolate sauce and caramel sauce to make this great drink! Don't forget to add a drizzle of caramel on top!
- Marble Mocha Macchiato: Drizzle white mocha syrup into the bottom of the cup. Add steamed milk and espresso. Top with a chocolate drizzle.
Step 1 (not photographed): Stir cocoa powder into espresso or strongly brewed coffee until there is a smooth texture.
Step 2: To a tall glass, add the Strawberry Simple Syrup into the bottom of the cup.
Step 3: Place ice cubes in the glass on top of Strawberry Simple Syrup.
Step 4: Add milk on top of ice cubes to create a white layer.
Step 5: Pour espresso or strongly brewed coffee on top of milk. Garnish with a strawberry, whipped cream or chocolate syrup and enjoy!
What is a Macchiato?
Macchiato is an Italian term that means 'stained' or 'spotted.' An Italian and traditional macchiato is an espresso based drink 'stained' with a small amount of milk. A macchiato is traditionally served in a small espresso glass. This drink is often enjoyed in the afternoon as a lighter alternative to a latte.
In the United States, consumers enjoy a 'macchiato latte.' This macchiato was made popular from Starbuck's Caramel Macchiato. To make a macchiato latte, the espresso is poured on top of the steam milk to 'stain' the milk. There is a significant difference between a traditional Italian macchiato and the macchiatos that we enjoy in the States. This Iced Strawberry Mocha Macchiato is an Americanized version of the macchiato.
How can I make a Macchiato without an espresso maker?You do not need a fancy espresso machine to make espresso at home! Here are some options:
- Use a that I use! This is a stovetop espresso maker that you can buy for relatively inexpensive. Here is the
- Use a et to 'strong.' Use this strongly brewed coffee in place of the espresso.
- Try using Similar to espresso, cold brew has more caffeine than traditional coffee.
- A is a coffee maker that creates a strong and robust coffee that you can make at home.
- Try .
Can I make Strawberry Simple Syrup at home?
Yes, Strawberry Simple Syrup can be made at home. Here is how:
- Add 8 oz of chopped strawberries, 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir together to melt the sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain strawberries from syrup.
- Store in an airtight container!
Store any leftover Strawberry Simple Syrup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Let any leftover espresso or hot coffee cool completely. Store in the refrigerator to make an iced coffee drink later!
Add cocoa powder to the cup before pouring the shots of espresso or strongly brewed coffee into the cup. The heat from the liquid will help the cocoa powder to dissolve. Be sure to stir before making your mocha macchiato.
Do not stir the latte macchiato together until you are ready to enjoy your drink. Once you stir the drink, you will lose the layering effect.
Looking for another fun and creative coffee recipe? Try one of these:
These are my favorite breakfast dishes to serve with a fancy coffee:
Iced Strawberry Mocha Macchiato Latte
- 2 ounces Espresso or Strongly Brewed Coffee
- 6 ounces Milk of Choice
- 1 teaspoon Cocoa Powder
- 3 tablespoons Strawberry Simple Syrup
Strawberry Simple Syrup
- 8 ounces Strawberries Chopped
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- Stir cocoa powder and espresso/strongly brewed coffee together to dissolve the powder.
- To a tall glass, add the Strawberry Simple Syrup into the bottom.
- Add ice and pour milk over top.
- Pour espresso/coffee mixture over top of milk. Garnish with a strawberry and enjoy!
Strawberry Simple Syrup
- Add strawberries, sugar and water to a small pot over medium heat.
- Stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn heat down to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes until the syrup thickens.
- Remove from heat. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain liquid from strawberries.
- Allow the syrup to cool.